Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Czech Wedding March

I was at a beautiful wedding on Saturday.  As the sun was setting on the Central Texas landscape, the wedding party requested the participation of every guest in a Czech wedding march.  Being more of an observer (and mother of a young child), I initially hesitated; however, my love of culture and dance prevailed!  I had so much fun - and speaking for the many other guests, they did too.  While hopping, ‘polka-ing,’ and hand-holding, I wished I had my own video camera to capture the moment from my perspective.

As I reflected on the wonderful moment in time, my thoughts went back to the recent technology conference I attended.  I wanted to use technology to capture a cultural event that needs to be passed down and shared.  I wanted to use technology to enhance an experience – a connection between the present and past – to be cherished or saved for the future.

The question becomes:  are we just using instructional technology to teach our students to be 21st century learners or are we using technology to make connections between the past, present, and future.  I hope it’s the ladder.

For those of you that are curious about the Czech wedding march, please view the following video: