Saturday, March 15, 2014

Let the Mud Settle

I tend to see a problem and want to fix it. If my little girl is crying, I want to find out what's wrong and fix it.  If there is a problem with the house, I'm going to get some tools out and attempt to fix it. Again, I'm a fixer. 

In my role as an assistant principal this year, I have learned that I need to slow down and let the mud settle.  Instead of thinking through a problem systematically and coming to a quick resolution, I've learned that is not always the best course of action to take.  Sometimes, taking time and being patient, problems resolve themselves or resolve into a lesser issue.  Taking a little more time with an issue, allows it to become clearer.  The real problem becomes more evident.  More importantly, when I slow down, others have an opportunity to work through their problem.

It is a balancing act.